White Witch revisited

17th at THE WHITE WITCH
Montego Bay, Jamaica


Just recieved this image of a painting of the 17th at The White Witch golf course in Jamaica, painted by Maggio.

The image brought back lots of memories. We knew the green site was going to be excellent, with the water in the background (although the painting doesn't accurately reflect the altitude of this green or the distance to the water).

I percieved the lone tree behind the green would be important to the composition. (Actually, it's a trash tree but the combination of wind shaping the top and cows eating the bottom branches, conspired to produce the unusual shape you see in the painting.) It was extremely difficult to convince the construction crew of it's importance. We made repeated requests to protect this tree with safety fencing. (Inevitably, we would find a dozer parked in the shade under the tree. It was a favored gathering place for the workers at lunch time.)

After several visits the tree was still not protected. So, I finally refused to continue a site visit and stood there until a fence was installed around the tree. The tree survived the construction process but I believe it was recently damaged during a storm. It will be interesting to see if they replace it.

There were two holes at the White Witch that defied logic - the 17th (shown above) and #7. When we were building the 17th green, I was convinced the green sloped excessively toward the tees. The shaper (Brad Dupuis) was adamant about the putting surface being relatively flat i.e. less than 2% slope. We deliberated this point over the course of two or three site visits until I made him prove it to me with a digital level. Brad was right, the green was very gentle. It still appears as an optical illusion to me today. I can't believe balls don't simply roll off the front of the green.

The 7th hole at the White Witch is an uphill par 4. These holes are always problematic as visibility (especially at a resort course) is an issue. As construction progressed on the 7th, we just weren't able to comprehend the limits of the putting surface. We wanted golfers to be able to understand the limits of the target. Finally, I asked Brad to measure the elevation change from the landing area to the green. (our base topography was suspect). Brad reported that it was an 18 meter rise in elevation. I was shocked. I also think I said unkind things about his abilities (among other things). I simply couldn't believe he could be right. When I found out he measured the elevation with a hand level, I believe I also may have taken the liberty of casting aspersions upon his ancestors and relatives. I told him to have a surveyor measure the elevation. Brad reported (in a taunting, knowing and casual manner) the elevation change was 18.25 meters! With a false front and some creative shaping near the back of the putting surface, we were able provide a good frame of reference for the putting surface. But, there was no way to a view of the putting surface. Playing this hole today, it's easy to percieve that it plays uphill but I doubt anyone would believe it is 18 meters uphill. (If you want to win some money, this would be a good bet.

I promised Brad I would never question his hand level skills again and I have kept that promise.

No comments:











von HAGGE, SMELEK and BARIL

Houston, Texas 77070

281-376-8282